Pop City Life Exclusive: Interview with Holly Elle


Recently, we got the chance to chat with Canadian singer Holly Elle. As Music Connection Magazine best described her, Elle is one of the hottest unsigned artists out right now. Between performing at events like SXSW and having her music featured on shows like The Real World and Bad Girls Club, we're certain that she is on her way to becoming a household name. Check out our interview with Elle below:

Pop City Life: For those of our readers who have never heard your music before, how would you describe your sound? What sets you apart from other singers in the music industry today?

Holly Elle: I always say pop music right off the bat, because “pop” music to me is any song that a wide variety of people can relate to and enjoy. So I pride myself on making music that I feel is accessible. And then secondary to that I always love to have R&B flavor coming through. Beyond that, I like to blur the lines between genres so it’s also very eclectic.

What sets me apart is my individuality as a person, just like anyone else. Because my music is so close to my heart and parallels what’s happening in my life, you hear my individual perspective on things. Everyone has their own story to tell, in their own unique way, and that’s what sets them apart. I tell mine through song.

PCL: On February 5th, you’ll be releasing a new EP titled Leopardess. What was that process like? Where did you come up with the title for it? What’s your favorite song off of it?

Holly: The process is always so much fun! I love being on stage but there’s something about being in the studio that is so special. Especially when you get to do it with people as awesome as the producers at Zodlounge. I love working with them and I was so glad to get to do it again for this EP.

When I was thinking about the title, I wanted to do another single word that people don’t hear too often, that has a cool ring to it. I’m kind of a word nerd, and I Iove delving into the meanings behind them. This album represents my independence as a person and as an artist really beginning to take shape, so when I think of a leopardess, a strong solitary female, it just makes sense. Plus I needed an excuse to wear more leopard print.

My personal favorite is Wanna Be Loved.

PCL: How was making Leopardess different from your last EP, Infinitude? As far as the music goes, do you see a difference or growth between the two pieces?

Holly: I certainly see growth; I think everything about it is better. Again, I really feel like I’m becoming stronger and more confident in myself and in my choices, so I was much more hands-on. I still listen to other opinions and input but I’m way more clear about how I want things to be and I go for it, I trust my inner voice. I also returned to solo writing on this project for 2 of the songs, which is a departure from Infinitude, where all the songs were co written.

PCL: You just announced that “Predator” will be the first single off the new EP. Any plans to release a music video for it?

Holly: Much like my fellow Canadian artist Justin Bieber, I never say never. But right now I’m focusing on shooting the video for the second single, which is still under wraps. After that, there’s no telling what will happen...

PCL: In the past, your songs have been featured on Oxygen’s Bad Girls Club and MTV’s Real World: San Diego. How did that come about? Did you tune in? How did you find the response to your music after those episodes aired?

Holly: Zodlounge has really helped me to get my music out there. I knew that the shows were interested in the music and I was of course interested in return, so the songs went into their libraries for possible future use. I didn’t know they were actually going to use the songs until right before in both cases, and hell yeah I tuned in, I was so excited! The response has been great, especially on “Don’t Come Home.” I was touched at how people really related to that song and expressed that to me.

PCL: Last year, you performed at SXSW. There are so many great artists involved with this highly publicized festival. What was it like to play it? Who did you enjoy seeing perform? Did you get to meet any of the other acts?

Holly: It was really fun but really crazy, there is so much going on! I feel like I need to go back and experience it again strictly as a spectator because I didn’t really get to have any time to just be a fan. I was in and out really fast and moving on down the road to the next thing.

PCL: Do you have a favorite song to perform live?

Holly: I should probably say one of my own songs, but I really love performing “Yesterday” by The Beatles, and the Amy Winehouse version of “Valerie.”

PCL: The music video for your single "Freak" garnered media attention from not only online bloggers, but the LGBT Magazine, The Advocate as well. Can you explain to us what that song and music video are about? What was it like making the video? How did you find the public’s reaction to it?

Holly: It’s about letting your freak flag fly. I wrote the song in 2010, when bullying started becoming a serious issue, and it’s about conveying the message that being different is awesome and it’s something to be proud of.

Making the video was a dream come true for me because it was my first music video. I got a lot of support to make that video happen and I got to work with fantastic people. The reaction was mixed, as I expected. Some people loved it, some people hated it, and that’s totally cool.

PCL: What motivated you to become a singer? Who are some of your biggest musical influences? If you could tour with any musician, who would it be?

Holly: My motivation was a burning desire from within, a passion. My two biggest influences are The Beatles and Mariah Carey. If I could tour with any musician, it would be Sir Paul McCartney.

PCL: Besides releasing Leopardess in February, what’s next for you? Any new projects or tours coming up that fans can look forward to?

Holly: I can already feel the need to make new music bubble up inside of me. It wasn’t that long ago that I released Infinitude, so you can see that I get the itch to go back in the studio often. So fans can expect another EP or maybe even full album in 6 months to a year. Right now I’m focusing on music videos and I’m looking into partnerships that will allow me to showcase my music in a new forum, more to come on that...

We want to thank Holly Elle for taking the time to talk with us. Don't forget to check out her new EP Leopardess when it comes out February 5th. If you haven't already, make sure to follow her on Twitter here and take a look at her music video for "Don't Come Home", off Infinitude, below. 



Interview by Stephanie Coffey