Pop City Life Exclusive: Interview with Cynthia Langston


We recently had the pleasure of chatting with Cynthia Langston, the talented author of Bicoastal Babe and The Very First Bite. After finishing both books and LOVING them, we knew we had to find out what else she had in the works. If you've enjoyed her novels already, you'll enjoy this interview. We chat about a possible sequel to Bicoastal Babe, the new TV series Trending, produced by Katherine Heigl and based on Bicoastal Babe, how she relates to her characters and what's next for her and her fans.

Check out the interview here!

PopCityLife: First of all, I want to say congrats on the birth of your son!

Cynthia Langston: Thanks so much! As any new mom knows, it’s quite an adventure.

PCL: What inspired you to write a novel? Did you always want to be a writer?

Cynthia: When I was in sixth grade, I wrote a soap opera called “Yesterday’s Desire.” I passed the episodes around the classroom, and all the girls read it and seemed to really enjoy it. That’s when I started wanting to be a writer.

PCL: Bicoastal Babe focuses on Lindsey Miller splitting her new life as a trend tracker between New York and LA. You run a company that researches trends as well. Was the story inspired by your own experiences?

Cynthia: Yes, and also my fascination for how things “catch on” to become widespread trends. A lot of people don’t realize that trend-tracking is a real job (and so interesting!). I was surprised that I’d never seen it portrayed in a book or movie, so it was a natural fit.

PCL: Be honest, did you ever stalk an old boyfriend when you were younger? :P

Cynthia: Of course! Didn’t we all? I was queen of the drive-bys. One time in high school, I was driving by a guys’ house, and he happened to pull up with a carful of his friends. They were pointing and laughing at me… not one of my finest moments. But definitely great book material.

PCL: How did it feel to have Katherine Heigl love the book?

Cynthia: Katherine is an avid reader, so I was honored that she took such an interest in Bicoastal Babe. She’s super-nice in person, and gorgeous as well.

PCL: I personally felt like the ending to Bicoastal Babe left it up in the air for a possible sequel. Is that something you might consider in the future?

Cynthia: I’m working on the sequel right now. There are lots more adventures in store for Lindsey that involve different aspects of New York (the artsy underworld) and Los Angeles (the glamorous world of showbiz). And, of course, more interesting men she’ll meet along the way that personify both cities.

PCL: What was your inspiration behind The Very First Bite?

Cynthia: My high school reunion was approaching, and I was excited but a little nervous. It’s the day that you really put on display how far you’ve come in life and who you’ve become as a person. I thought it would make an interesting ticking clock for Lanie as she struggles to improve her life and self-image.

PCL: Do you relate to Lanie at all? I saw a lot of myself in her character in regards to body image and broken friendships. Was your own high school reunion just as terrifying?

Cynthia: We ALL have issues with our self-image, as well as ghosts of our past. Many of us have had friendships that broke off, but never had closure. And some of us even wonder if our high school boyfriend could have been “The One.” That’s a lot to prepare for! But the truth is, my high school reunion was an absolute blast. I can’t wait for the next one.

PCL: Do you have any plans to write another novel? Anything else in the works?

Cynthia: I have two novels in the works. One is the sequel to Bicoastal Babe. The other is a surprise!

Be sure to keep an eye out for the new series Trending, currently in development by The CW and produced by Katherine and Nancy Heigl and based on Bicoastal Babe!

We'd like to thank Cynthia for taking the time to answer some questions for us. We've really enjoyed and loved her books (Our reviews can be found here) and can't wait for what else she has in store!

Check out Cynthia's official website here, her facebook here, and follow her on Twitter here!

Interview by: Noelle Gruber