Pop City Life Exclusive: Emily Vasquez Interview


We recently got the chance to chat with one of the talented contestants from The Glee Project, Emily Vasquez. She filled us in about her time and experiences on the show, her new music video, her work with Hope's Voice and the True Beauty campaign, and what fans can expect from her next. Check it out!

PopCityLifeHey Emily! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer some questions about your time on the Glee Project. We're so excited to hear what you've been up to and what fans can look forward to from you!


What made you decide to initially audition for The Glee Project? Were you a big fan of Glee beforehand?


Emily VasquezI have always been a fan of Glee, ever since the very first episode! When I heard about The Glee Project, I was so excited by the opportunity to be on one of my favorite TV shows. 

PCL: How did you react when you got the call telling you that you made the cut? What was the first thing you did when you found out you were going to be on the show?

EVWith so many odds against me, I was super shocked when I earned a spot on the show! Many talented and amazing people auditioned for only twelve spots. After hearing the news, the first thing I did was thank God and then I celebrated with my family!

PCL: The cast of The Glee Project had some great people helping them out on the show. Did you have a favorite guest mentor?

EVI had always wanted to meet Idina Menzel. It was great that she came on as a mentor on The Glee Project. To meet such a talented, inspiring performer was an amazing experience.

PCL: What was your favorite performance during your run?

EVMy favorite performance on the show had to be our rendition of Twisted Sisters, “We’re Not Going to Take It”.  The song had so much energy and enthusiasm. With all the different costumes and makeup, the whole video was a lot of fun to film and record. 

PCL: What was it like when you got the call that the eliminated contestants were all returning for the finale?

EVI was so excited for the finale when the entire cast came back!  I didn’t realize how much I really missed being back until I got there. It was so great to see the whole cast again and support the finalists.

PCL: Looking back on your time on The Glee Project, is there anything you wish you would have done differently? Do you feel that viewers got an accurate feel for who you are?

EVLooking back, there is not much I would have done differently. The crew filmed so much more than what was shown in the compressed 1-hr episode. I guess at times people received a skewed, condensed version of the cast, but that’s just the nature of reality television. I was really happy with the sincere effort I put into the competition and feel great about it.

PCL:  Do you still keep in touch with anyone from the show?

EVI still keep in touch with Alex! He was my one of closest friends on the show and is so sweet.

PCL: What was it like once the show had aired? How was dealing with the newfound fame? 

EV: It was actually kind of scary as well as exciting. Like I mentioned before, a lot of footage was filmed so I wasn’t sure how it would be edited for the episodes.  It was scary to imagine people might interpret the episodes in different ways, but it was amazing to see the whole competition come together and watch the performances.

PCL: Have you been watching Glee this season? Were you excited to see your fellow contestants Damian and Lindsay make their debuts?

EVI have been watching Glee. It was great to see Damian and Lindsay on the show! They are great additions to the show and I am happy for them.

PCL: A few of the Glee Project cast members, including yourself, are involved in Hope’s Voice and their True Beauty campaign. Can you tell us a little about what that is and your work with them? How did you get involved?

EV I am a part of Hope’s Voice and their True Beauty Campaign. Todd Murray is the founder, and he emailed me after he watched the “Vulnerability” episode of the Glee Project. In today’s society, there is just an overwhelming pressure to be a certain type of “beautiful” and “cool”. The campaign gives us the opportunity to perform and talk to students across college campuses about our struggles and what true beauty really means.

PCL: Growing up, is this what you envisioned for yourself? Did you always know you wanted to go into show business?

EVAs long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be an entertainer. I grew up with Selena and Jennifer Lopez as my musical icons, and I wanted to grow up just like them.  So, that’s the journey I’m on now!

PCL: You recently released your music video for "Slow Motion", which we loved. It’s such a fun video! What was it like filming your own video? 

EVThank you so much! I had a great time making the “Slow Motion” music video. The whole experience was surreal. I worked really hard to get up to that point and to bring that whole production together so, I couldn’t believe I was actually filming my own music video. Overall, I thought it came out great for it being a video made solely with the help of my supportive friends and myself.

PCL: Now that The Glee Project is over and you’ve established a name in the business, are you working on more solo music? Do you have any plans to release another music video soon?

EVI have a new song I’m putting out soon called “Hey Cutie Over There!” It is a fun and bouncy dance song with a bit of a Latin flavor mixed into the beat. I’m going to film another music video for “Hey Cutie Over There” very soon, which is great.  Be on the lookout for it when it comes out!

PCL: Stemming from your Latina heritage, would you ever consider releasing a Spanish album?

EVAs a proud Nuyorican, I would eventually love to put out an album in Spanish and get more involved in Latin music altogether.

PCL: Since you’re a fellow New Yorker and have been in off-Broadway productions, do you have any desire to try your hand on Broadway? If so, what would be your ideal Broadway role?

EV It would be a dream come true to be in a Broadway musical like “Rent” and “In the Heights”. They are some of my favorite musicals and have really inspiring messages to young hopefuls following their big dreams. Hopefully, I will be able to get an opportunity to be part of these musicals sooner rather than later. LOL!

PCL: Our readers were curious how you spent your Halloween. Did you dress up?

EV: To be honest, this was the first Halloween that I didn’t do much. I went to two Haunted Houses that were fun and pretty spooky, but I basically spent my Halloween with my family. It was nice to have a low-key Halloween this year.


PCL: Do you have any advice for fans out there that are trying to make it in this business?

EVMy advice is to never give up! In this business you will get a lot of “No’s” but if you kept trudging, before you know it, there will be a “Yes”. As long as you believe in what you do and know it’s the path you were meant to take, no one can take your dream away from you.  You have to be persistent and keep fighting.

PCL: What's on the horizon for you? Any new projects coming up?

EVI am currently auditioning for new shows and hopefully you all will see me performing again soon. Right now I’m focused on landing new projects and developing my music. Keep a lookout for my singles “Hey Cutie Over There and “Slow Motion”! A lot of people love my alter ego, so of course I will keep posting more videos of CHACHA on my Youtube Channel  TheMLeeVasquez Channel.

We want to thank Emily once again for taking the time to answer some questions for us. Make sure to check out her debut music video below and if you haven't already, follow us both on Twitter! PCL and Emily.