Smash - 1x2 - Callbacks - Recap

The competition for the role of Marilyn is heating up. Both Ivy and Karen got callbacks. And now the fun begins. Karen needs to work on her dancing and well, everything else. Ivy has spent a good chunk of her life studying Marilyn. She has the experience, the look, the talent, and a much better voice. I'm trying to figure out why we're supposed to be rooting for Karen over her.



Other than her scenes with Derek, I've so far had trouble sympathizing. I mean, sure. Every struggling Broadway hopeful is looking for their big break. But in this case, I don't think she's right for this specific part. She has a great talent for somewhere else. But, it wouldn't be much of a show if it was that simple. The chemistry between Derek and Karen is electric and I'm just waiting for the day she'll probably cheat on her boyfriend. She pisses him off after missing an important business dinner. He blows up but not much else happens after that. It's nice to see a relationship not explode over little mistakes like on the common drama.

Maybe it's because I'm mentally photoshopping myself into the scenes where Jack Davenport is whispering in his dreamy accent. I don't know. What I do know is that he's not having sex with her. Yet. He's having sex with Ivy. Everyone saw that hookup coming but it wasn't as sleazy as I was expecting. I was expecting a cringey casting couch scenario like when Karen initially went to Derek's apartment. In this case, they were working together and had a moment.

There's some adoption sub-plot going on in this episode that I really couldn't care less about. Julia wants to adopt a baby girl from China. Her son wants her to do it. Her husband changes his mind because of how long it's going to take and he's getting on in years. She goes through with it anyway. The end.

Derek chooses to stay rather than leave to go back and direct My Fair Lady. The group comes to a decision on the part. They award the role of Marilyn to Ivy. Well done. But will they change their mind?