Lead Roles Cast in Fifty Shades of Grey

Written by Regan Brown

It may have started out as Twilight fan fiction, but E. L. James’ “Fifty Shades of Grey, the first book from the 50 Shades-trilogy, is hitting the big screen.  However, I don’t understand why.  Did I read the books?  Guilty as charged.  Did I think the writing was phenomenal?  Not in the slightest.

Nonetheless, the hunt was on to cast the two main characters that will bring this erotic-filled novel to life.  And now, the hunt is officially over.  Actor Charlie Hunnam, best known for his starring role in the television series,Sons of Anarchy, will play the dark, mysterious, and tormented billionaire, Christian Grey.  Actress Dakota Johnson, who’s had some small roles here and there, is set to play innocent, intelligent literature student, Anastasia Steele.

When I hear someone mention “Fifty Shades of Grey”, the first thing that comes to my mind is…sex.  More than half of the book’s pages are all sexual related because as I’m sure those read the book already know, Christian Grey lures Anastasia into the world of: bondage, dominance, and submission, a world that until meeting Christian, Anastasia had no knowledge of.

This is what makes me skeptical about the book being turned into a movie because there’s absolutely no way around it.  As I’ve already mentioned, I’ve read all the books, so I know Christian has this dark and horrific past.  However, the first book barely touches upon this fact.  So I’m very curious to see how this is going to play out and somehow not resemble an “adult” film.

Sam Taylor-Johnson (director of Nowhere Boy) is set to direct this book-to-film adaptation, which is scheduled for release on August 1, 2014.

I’d love to know what you think about this news.  Do you think this is one of those book series that should remain a book series or are you excited to see this series come to life?  Do you think the right actors were picked for the two main roles or did you foresee someone else fill one of these rolls?

Source: The WRAP