Review: It's Only Change - Quincy Mumford & The Reason Why

Written by Adriana Morales

Alright readers, you are in for a nice treat today. If you haven't heard of Quincy Mumford & The Reason Why yet, you will now. I was recently asked to write an album review for them, a band I have never listened to until today. Just to give you an idea of what to expect, I suggest you grab a PiƱa Colada (or a cold beer if that's too "girly" for ya) before reading my review or listening to their album It's Only Change on your own.

As soon as it begins, I am introduced to the first track "It's Only Change". The lead singer's voice and style of the song overall reminds me very much of John Mayer; soft and dreamy. Once it ends, "For You" begins and a slow reggae beat hits with pretty vocals accompanying the lead. This number is quite the jam. Don't worry though, the momentum isn't dropped when heading into the third track titled "Under The Covers". This song hints a slight influence from one of the most popular ska punk bands to ever hit the music scene - Sublime. As a listener who loves jazz and blues, I really enjoyed this track's playful tone and lyrics, as well as the mix of "big band" sound and soulful female vocals that sway in and out of it.

The album once again slows down slightly after "When You Get Back" plays, but remains consistently laid-back throughout. It's easy to understand throughout the album how Quincy Mumford's, the lead vocalist, background has influenced the band's current style. In Quincy Mumford & The Reason Why, we hear strips of soul, funk, surf and reggae music mashed together with folk, blues, and a bit of alternative rock as well. When you've been raised near the Jersey Shore for most of your life and decide to become a musician, you can't help but bring the beach to your fans whenever they listen to one of your songs and this album did exactly that for me. It'll work out great for the next time I hit the beach myself, as I now know what I'll be playing in the car along the way.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it. You can listen to Quincy Mumford & The Reason Why's latest album, It's Only Change, here.